Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Thriving

One of my favorite things about Rob is that he can live in the shadow of my stress without getting stressed himself. He responds to my chaos by remaining calm. Ancient-beardy-magician-drinking-herbal-tea-on-a-mountaintop calm.

This morning, Rob got Westley all dressed and fed and packed up for school. He reminded me to have breakfast before coffee (so the caffeine wouldn't kill my appetite), swaddled Ivy so she would nap in her crib, and suggested I take the first shower. Then he helped me put together an agenda for the next few weeks.

As I settled in to feed Ivy, feeling more relaxed and very taken care of, Rob said, "When she's done eating shall we get going?"

We started with lunch at Thrive in Seattle. We'd driven past their sign dozens of times, but had never been inside the cafe. Now I want to move in there and live off their Coconutty Smoothie forever and ever and ever.

Coconutty
[I was too busy enjoying an awesome lunch date and forgot to take pictures, so I borrowed this one from Thrive's Facebook page.]

It took Ivy a little while to get used to the sounds of the high-powered blenders and got over her fascination with the hippie dudes conversing at a table kitty-corner from us. Once she was convinced that everything was groovy, she nursed to sleep while I tucked in to a salad the size of my torso. We were there during peak lunchtime hours, and the adorable New-Age-Girl hostess couldn't contain her joy at the presence of a baby, especially since said baby was having her lunch, too.

I managed to slip Ivy into the K'tan without waking her, and we took a slice of chocolate mousse pie to go. Rob kept me company while I finished my Christmas shopping and picked out a new bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap, with lots of browsing in between. As Rob drove us home in the rain, I felt more relaxed and centered than I have in months.

In this season of family and gratitude, I am beyond thankful that this beardy magician of calm who's married to me.

.....................................

9 comments:

Allison the Meep said...

High five, beardy wizard dude!!

Having a real partner is the best thing ever. I'm so glad you have that in Rob.

Anonymous said...

This post made me well up! How wonderful to be partnered in such a loving way! <3

Tara said...

Yay to sweet bearded men! This post made me so happy to see that you all are doing well and settling in nicely as a family of four. Here's to more peaceful days!

autumn said...

I adore everything about this post. And (because I am living the sleep deprived dream(less) life) IVY NAPS IN HER CRIB??? Share some secrets friend.

MOMSICLE VIBE said...

I am SO lucky to be able to relate to this. What is better than the emotional/logistical/practical support of your partner? Nothing!! Love it.
ALSO - Ivy still gets swaddled?? So does Lucy, but I thought she was maybe the only one her age still swaddled! She's 11 weeks and naps without swaddle are less than 10 minutes. Naps with swaddle - over an hour!

MOMSICLE VIBE said...

I am SO lucky to be able to relate to this. What is better than the emotional/logistical/practical support of your partner? Nothing!! Love it.
ALSO - Ivy still gets swaddled?? So does Lucy, but I thought she was maybe the only one her age still swaddled! She's 11 weeks and naps without swaddle are less than 10 minutes. Naps with swaddle - over an hour!

Maryann said...

We all need a beardy magician in our lives. :-)

Sara said...

Rob sounds absolutely incredible. Go you for pairing up with a great guy. :)

Jess @ Wrangling Chaos said...

"Ancient-beardy-magician-drinking-herbal-tea-on-a-mountaintop calm."

That one line may be the best husband visual I've had in a long time.

And FTR. Maddie, my super-mover who crawled at 4 months (freaky child), was swaddled until almost 8 months. It was the only way she would sleep, and it was so weird, but she loved it.