Saturday, November 24, 2012

RAQ: Rarely Asked Questions

Occasionally, someone will ask a question in a post's comments, and I want to reply, but I'm not always sure how. Do I answer the question in the comments section and hope the person who asked will come back and check for a response? Do I try to hunt down an e-mail address and respond that way? If it's a complicated question with a lengthy answer, do I write a new post on the topic?

Usually, I get so bogged down with indecision that I never respond—and then I feel awful! I haven't forgotten about you! (And then, the longer I go without addressing a question, the weirder it feels to actually answer it.)

So! I'm going to start responding to questions in a FAQ-style format. Except that it'll be a RAQ, as I don't get asked questions frequently. Sound good?

Lincoln Park

Q: Did you make that blue hat? Where can I find the pattern?

A: Alas, I did not make it. I found it at a thrift store, in the guys' section. Because I have a large, manly head. If you have a larger-than-average head, and/or a lot of hair that you like to stuff under a hat sometimes, and/or you like your hats in the bigger side, check out mens' accessories.

Q: Talk to me about the vegan diet and weight loss! Will going vegan help me lose weight?

A: I have no idea if eating a vegan diet will help you lose weight. I lost no weight when I switched to a vegan diet (and may even have gained some). I have only ever lost weight on a starvation diet—and I have the health problems to show for it. My husband, however, naturally lost about 25 lbs. when he switched to a vegan diet about six years ago. He was never hungry, and he feels healthier than ever. Every person's body is different. If you're interested in jumping into cooking and eating delicious vegan food, I recommend Isa Chandra Moskowitz's cookbooks.

Speaking of food...

Q: That recipe looks great! Did you invent it?

A: Yes and no. I am a recipe tweaker. I find a recipe that looks interesting and then I make adjustments for what I like and what I have lying around. I often end up using a completely different bean, grain, and collection of spices from what the original recipe called for, and voilĂ , a new recipe...sort of. When it comes to gluten-free baking, I've had a lot of success using a combination of sorghum flour, tapioca flour, and millet flour. Those three together seem to make a delicious, not-too-moist, not-too-crumbly baked good. I also find that with gluten-free baking, I often have to go by how a batter looks (and adjust flour and liquid amounts accordingly), rather than adhere to the measurements in a recipe I'm tweaking. And I've had lots of recipes fail. But sorghum + tapioca + millet = hecka tasty.

.....................................

2 comments:

Sara said...

That is a pretty wonderful hat. :)

Allison the Meep said...

I love the idea of rarely asked questions. Do you mind if I borrow it for my blog?

You are correct with sorghum, millet and tapioca being a magical blend. I use that a lot when I'm making breads. When I make cookies, I don't care as much about whole grains since cookies are kind of meant to be crap food anyway, so I make a big batch of rice flour from the Asian market (because it's super powdery fine), potato starch, and tapioca starch.