Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Post-Kid Kitchen: Quick Bread Quickie

Peach Chai Bread

Not much food-writing around here lately, huh? I still don't know how to make the food thing work with a baby who loves to nap on my body and prefers to be held at all times. Somehow I manage to cook every day, but it's not the careful, calculated cooking I used to do. It's flying-by-the-seat-of-the-pants, God-I-hope-this-will-turn-out-OK cooking. Stressful. I get it now when people, and especially parents of young children, say, "I hate to cook."

I don't hate to cook. I hate to bake. (And yet, during I recent kitchen clean-out, I discovered that I have more baking-type things than anything else. What business do I have owning FIVE cake pans?) Which is why Rob made this bread.

Peach Chai Quick Bread
Makes 1 loaf

3/4 cup tapioca flour
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp xanthan gum
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
3/4 cup almond milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups of peach puree
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp black pepper
Leftover vegan buttercream frosting for topping (optional)

(I know what you're thinking, especially you, Allison: there is no such thing as leftover buttercream frosting. In my house, leftover buttercream is a thing that sometimes happens, despite our best efforts. Sorry about that.)

Preheat the oven to 330 degrees (yes, 330). Grease loaf pan and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and xanthan gum and whisk well to combine. Add remaining ingredients (except frosting, if using) and mix like crazy. The batter should be fairly thick.

Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake 60 minutes, or until the toothpick trick works. Allow bread to cool in the pan 10 minutes before slicing. Oh, and if you believe in leftover buttercream and want to use it, just spread a couple tablespoons over the top of the warm loaf. It'll get all drippy and glaze-y.

Peach Chai Bread

Eat it all. This is the "quick" part of the quick bread. The whole loaf will be gone in less time than it took to assemble and bake it.

P.S. I feel about chai in Fall the way the rest of the world feels about pumpkin. If chai is not your thing, feel free to leave out the spices. And if you don't have peaches languishing in your freezer from summertime, mashed banana—or, yes, pumpkin—works in this recipe, too.

Peach Chai Bread

.....................................

2 comments:

Allison the Meep said...

Oh, my. That bread sounds crazy awesome. Did you come up with the recipe? How are you always doing that? I actually LOVE to bake and feel so timid with making up my own recipes and instead rely on gently tweaking existing ones. You are a rogue badass baker and I salute you for it.

And yeah. There is never such thing as leftover buttercream frosting in my house.

Candace said...

Get yourself a good woven wrap from the baby wearer and start wearing Ivy on your back while you cook. Both of my girls needed to be held ALL THE TIME and that meant lots of baby on back. I started wearing my youngest on my back when she was 8 weeks old, it totally changed my ability to do things! I even cooked t-giving dinner for 8 people when Adeline was 2 months old and she was on my back the whole time!