Friday, June 22, 2012

Post-Kid Kitchen: Rad Radishes

Radishes

Last summer I read an article about gardening that suggested vegetable-gardening neophytes start with radishes. Apparently, they're low-maintenance and hard to kill. Of course, the article concluded, no one actually eats radishes.

"Hey!" I addressed the magazine page angrily.

Radishes are one of my favorite vegetables, and have been since I was a child. I have a very vivid memory of munching on raw radishes and turnip slices while watching the Disney version of Alice in Wonderland on VHS. To this day, I love raw radishes with the tiniest pinch of salt, sliced and eaten with dip instead of chips or crackers.

Radish Slices

I have yet to try growing my own radishes—partly because plants kind of scare me, but mostly because I can get beautiful local radishes for a mere 50 cents a bunch! As we move into July, I'll be sauteing them with local peas for a perfect "I-don't-really-feel-like-cooking,-but-I-want-something-cheap-and-tasty" summer supper.

Summer Spaghetti with Radishes and Peas
Serves 4

2 bunches radishes, trimmed and sliced
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp dry vermouth
1/2 tsp salt
Black pepper, to taste
8 oz. frozen peas*
8 oz. brown rice spaghetti

Cook spaghetti according to package directions.

Meanwhile, saute radishes and garlic in oil  in a large skillet over medium-high heat, until garlic begins to brown, about 5 minutes.

Radishes and Garlic

Add vermouth, salt, pepper, and frozen peas. Cook another 4 or 5 minutes, until radishes are tender and peas are warmed through.

Saute Time

*You can use fresh peas here, of course. Just add them at the very last minute, after the radishes have turned pale pink.

Pasta with Radishes & Peas

Taste for salt, and serve immediately over hot spaghetti.

.....................................

5 comments:

Mia said...

I used to love radishes when I was a kid, too...but I think my inspiration was more Faerie Tale Theatre's Rapunzel than Alice in Wonderland. I haven't had them since then, though--I'll have to give this a try.

Lea said...

I love raw radishes, although I have never tried cooking them...

Allison the Meep said...

Whoa. I love radishes like crazy, but I don't think I've ever had them cooked. They look so pretty, all pink and mixed with peas. I will definitely give this dish a try!

We're growing radishes in our garden this year, and I am getting really eager to pull them out of the ground.

Allison the Meep said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate said...

I like radishes, but I'm not sure I've ever had them outside a salad. If my new semi-enthusiasm for making plants happen continues, and if they're as easy to grow as you say they are, these might be my next garden experiment!