Friday, June 8, 2012

Post-Kid Kitchen: Pancakes with Syrup Traps

For the longest time, I COULD NOT make pancakes. Vegan, gluten-free, "standard," from a mix...I couldn't do any of them. They were always awful—and we ate them anyway, which is not something I recommend. Turning yourself into a human garbage disposal because you're pissed off that your cooking project didn't go as planned is never the right answer.

Anyway. Pancakes. I was determined to master them because 1. I never had, 2. I wanted pancakes so bad you guys after Westley's birth, and I still haven't really gotten over the fact that I didn't get them. Oh, and 3. I didn't have a waffle iron.

Until now.

Gluten-Free Vegan Waffle

That's right. In a fit of pregnancy-hormone-plus-Target-air-induced insanity, I bought a cheap waffle iron. And it has CHANGED MY LIFE! Even more life-changing was the fact that my first batch of waffles came out beautifully. Take that, pancakes!

Gluten-free, Soy-free Vegan Waffles
Makes 3 large waffles

1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup potato starch (not potato flour) or tapioca starch
2 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp granulated sugar 
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp canola oil 
1/2 cup to 1 cup unsweetened almond milk 

In a medium bowl, whisk dry ingredients together. In a separate, larger bowl, whisk together applesauce, oil, and 1/2 cup of milk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir. Add more milk slowly, a tablespoon at a time, until you've reached the consistency of thick pancake batter. Thicker is better. Not only can you not take away milk once you've added it, but thinner batter is more likely to stick to your waffle iron. Your batter won't spread on the iron, but you can use a spoon or silicone spatula to even it out.

On my iron, 3/4 cup of batter makes a lovely waffle in 5 minutes on Medium. Your mileage may vary with your waffle iron.

Or just use this same batter to make pancakes.

.....................................

3 comments:

Sara said...

Those are some pretty waffles. E got us a waffle iron early in the year, but we have only tried once so far with so so results. We might just have to try your recipe.

Sarah said...

Those look great!! My adult cooking goal was to be able to make great pancakes - my mom once made pancakes for a sleepover friend and I and they were raw in the middle.

Allison the Meep said...

The title "Pancakes With Syrup Traps" made me laugh. Waffle irons are so great! Every time we bust ours out, we HAVE to say that line from Shrek where Donkey goes, "...and in the morning, I'm makin' waffles!" It's mandatory.