Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Post-Kid Kitchen: Kale Chips Ahoy!

Kale Chips

I'm suddenly wishing this were a recipe for chocolate chip cookies with kale in them. (I might have to do that sometime, just to say I did.) Instead, this is me arriving very, very late to the kale chip party that has been going on in the vegan food world for years.

I have tried transforming kale from leafy green to crunchy snack food before—with lackluster results. My kale chips always came out burnt-tasting, or not-in-a-good-way chewy. I declared kale chips a waste of perfectly good kale salad ingredients. But after an upbeat and delicious-smelling demonstration by aspiring dietician Andrea Lopriore at the Bastyr University Herb and Food Fair two weekends ago, I was inspired to give them another go. And I'm glad I did.

Salad Spinner Assist

The secret to really good kale chips? (Besides having a four-year-old help you with the salad spinner.) You might not like it.

It's fat. Lots and lots of fat.

Well, not lots and lots, but much more than the mere spritz of olive oil I had been trying to get away with when making my chips.

Salad Spinner Assist

Kale Chips
Serves 2 (or one suddenly kale-chip-obsessed pregnant woman)

1 bunch kale
1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
Salt to taste

Preheat your oven to 350 F, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. (You may need two cookie sheets, depending on the size of your bunch of kale.)

Wash kale and dry thoroughly. Tear kale into bite-size pieces, discarding rough stems. Transfer kale to a large bowl and toss with melted coconut oil to coat. Arrange kale in a single layer on lined cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt if desired. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until crunchy. If your kale is very thick, it might take 15 minutes or longer before the edges start to look golden brown, but check on your kale chips frequently!

Kale Chips

Cool, taste for seasoning, and enjoy!

.....................................

3 comments:

Mama Smith said...

My husband is coo coo for kale. It's seriously a crazy addiction so I think this might actually be just what he'd love for father's day- thanks! :)

Allison the Meep said...

I am a kale chip whore. They last only a little while at our house because they get gobbled up too quickly. Have you tried them with a little agave and chipotle powder? Crazy good.

Your use of coconut oil here is great. I have always used olive oil, but will copy you for my next batch, because I imagine it's so tasty with coconut oil. Everything is.

Sara said...

I have been so hesitant to try these for whatever reason, but you make them sound a bit irresistible. Maybe next time we're at the farmers market...