Thursday, August 11, 2011

Post-Kid Kitchen: "Best Ever" Guacamole

Avocados

I did not give this guacamole its name. It's just "guacamole" (or maybe "my favorite guacamole") around here, but everyone I've ever served it to says something to the effect of, "This is the best guacamole I've ever tasted!"

I think the secret is it's basically mashed-up avocado. There's not a bunch of tomatoes or peppers or cumin or mayonnaise (yes, I really know people who put mayo in guacamole) there to take away from the avocado flavor.

Because my family will happily eat avocados straight up.

Avocado Thief

"Best Ever" Guacamole

2 3/4 avocados (or 3 whole ones, if you don't have an avocado thief hanging around)
Juice of half a lemon
1/2 tsp salt
2 scallions, chopped (I cheat and use kitchen scissors)

There are many ways to prep avocados, but this how I do it:

Cut avocados in half, and remove pits by whacking your knife into the pit and lifting the pit out. (Ed. to add: Do not hold the avocado in your hand while you do this! Put it on the cutting board to avoid the possibility of hand-slashing.) Cut avocado halves in half. Pinch the "point" of the peel and pull it away from the avocado flesh. Now you have pretty avocado quarters...that you're about to smash to death with a fork.

Using a fork, mash avocado in a bowl. Add lemon juice and salt, and stir-mash until you reach a consistency you like. Fold in scallions. Eat!

Guacamole!

My current favorite vehicle for guacamole is a baked potato. Just split your hot baked potato open and top with a giant blob of guac for an easy, filling lunch.

.....................................

9 comments:

Allison the Meep said...

YEAH! We are avocado fiends as well. I can't get enough of it. And strangely, this is exactly how we make our guacamole too. Very simple. One of my favorite ways to use it is just spread on toast, or in place of mayo on a sandwich.

Isn't it weird though, how avocados start to taste a little like bacon when they get too ripe?

Melissa said...

This is basically how I make Guac too, except without the Scallions and I use the food processor instaed of a fork.

Anonymous said...

PLEASE, I beg of you. Stop slashing the avocado pit with a knife. I used to do this, and then, one day, thwack! And I ended up with 5 stitches in my hand, and almost severed the nerves to three of my fingers. Please, just gently remove the pit with your fingers!

Baby in Broad said...

Anon, I'm actually kind of terrified of knives, and NEVER hold the avocado in my hand while I whack the pit. So sorry about your hand! I hope all's well now.

Cindy said...

I add cilantro and use lime juice instead, but my version is much more simple than my Mexican family makes. And everyone always requests mine at parties! Yesterday, I went out and bought avocados and potatoes! ;)

Anonymous said...

Yes, when you remove the pit from the avocado the avocado half must be down on your board and your non-dominant hand must be WELL AWAY from the avocado half.

BTW - this is Julia Child's technique for removing the pit. I can still hear her voice every time I pit an avocado.

Anonymous said...

p.s. Be sure you use a very sharp knife. A dull knife can ricochet off the pit and send everything flying!

Anonymous said...

I heartily disagree with you and Julia. The avocado can be safely pitted by cutting in half, and gently lifting the pit out using a spoon or your fingers. Much safer. Why stab it with a knife when a much less dangerous and equally easy method is available?

Anonymous said...

ps I'm guessing Julia did not try to pit an avocado with three small children underfoot!