Thursday, July 28, 2011

Post-Kid Kitchen: Leftover Fruit and Vegetable Muffins

Leftover Fruit Muffins

The world seems to be full of recipes for "leftover cereal muffins"—a great way of using up that little bit of extra oatmeal or Cream of Rice or other hot cereal. Except that I never have leftover hot cereal. But I always have leftover raw fruit and veggies because I have a child who likes to ask for a carrot, eat two bites, and leave the rest. Or I'll be cleaning out the fridge and find half an apple languishing in an airtight container.

This week, I decided to try folding these "Westley leavings" into baked goods, and lo and behold! Delicious muffins!

A note about ingredients: I use egg replacer powder and Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose baking flour because that's what I keep around. Because I hate mixing flours and love Bob and his moulin rouge. As for fruit and veggies, you can really use whatever's lying around—provided you think it would taste good in muffins. The first batch I made was apple-raspberry: half a green apple, shredded, and a big handful of fresh raspberries. The second batch (the one I decided to photograph) was carrot-raisin...plus four raspberries that Westley left on his breakfast plate.

Leftover Fruit and Vegetable Muffins
Makes 1 dozen

1 cup gluten-free oats
1 cup almond milk
1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp egg replacer powder, plus 2 Tbsp warm water
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup canola oil -
or- 1/3 cup applesauce plus 2 Tbsp canola oil
1 1/4 cups all-purpose gluten-free baking flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
Leftovers!
(I used about two medium carrots, shredded, along with 1/3 cup raisins and four fresh raspberries.)

In a large bowl combine the oats, milk, and vinegar. Let it stand for a few minutes while you preheat your oven to 400 F. In a small bowl, combine egg replacer powder and water and mix well. Add the "egg," sugar and oil (and applesauce, if using) to the oat mixture and mix well. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum. Mix again until everything is well combined. Fold in any fruits and veggies (or nuts, or chocolate chips) to be used up.

Fill a dozen well-oiled muffin cups with batter. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve warm. Feel frugal.

Leftover Fruit Muffins

How do you use up your "kid leftovers"?

.....................................

4 comments:

Cindy said...

I have one of those unusual kids that leaves nothing on her plate. She loves to eat! These muffins look amazing, though, and are the answer to stuff about to go bad in the fridge. Will be making them tonight! I'm thinking zucchini with some fruit. What other veggies do you think would work?

Baby in Broad said...

Zucchini or yellow summer squash for sure! I bet grated sweet potato or beets would work too (though the beets would make purple muffins—for better or worse). I kind of want to make beet muffins now.

Cindy said...

Hey! I like that idea. I think Luna would totally go for it.

Mary said...

I just made these with cranberries, raisins, pumpkin seeds, and a mashed banana. Oh, and a teaspoon of cinnamon. They are perfect! I'm so excited to find a good gluten-free recipe. Thanks for posting!