Friday, July 22, 2011

Movie Date Review

Movie Date

Going to the movies is my favorite thing ever. I have dreamed of the day I could take my child to see a movie in the theater since before he was born. I have so many fond memories of my dad taking me on father-daughter dates to the movies; sometimes I even got to be "sick" and miss school to go!

I wanted to make sure Westley could appreciate the experience before I brought him to a loud, dark room with a giant screen. I could imagine such a thing being super-intimidating to a 3.5-year-old. I had no idea how he'd react, and I was ready to offer lots of comfort and reassurance if need be. This was supposed to be fun, after all!

I had absolutely no reason to worry. As we stood in line for our Winnie the Pooh tickets, Westley jumped up and down and sang, "I love movies! I love popcorn!" (Which is true. He polished off nearly all of a medium popcorn and a pink lemonade by himself.) He sat up perfectly straight, truly on the edge of his seat, the entire time we were in the theater. He admired the emergency aisle lighting, bopped along to the previews, and tried to sing along to the film's (excellent) music. I only had to shush him a few times.

Before we left, Westley threw away his trash and used the bathroom on his own. (I went in with him, but faced the fall since he'd asked for "some pwivacy.") He gushed over all the posters in the lobby: "That's the movie we just saw!" he observed happily, pointing out a Winnie the Pooh banner. And he posed with Puss in Boots.

Movie Date

Overall, Westley had a pretty good time, but it was my favorite mother-son date ever.

.....................................

2 comments:

Allison the Meep said...

Right on, Westley!! Dude, it just gets even more fun. Jules and I saw the new Harry Potter together and it was so cool to be able to discuss the movie afterward and hear all his thoughts on the plot line.

Amber @ Not Mommy said...

I don't know if it's the hormones or what, but this made me tear up. I love that you're starting this tradition.

I used to have a similar one with my dad when I was in H.S. My parents were divorced and it was our "visitation". It was the one and only thing we did alone after he was remarried and I cherished it.

I cannot wait to bring Alexa. So happy Wes loved it.