Monday, July 25, 2011

Bloody Awesome


Last week, I thought my body was trying to have a period—right on time, if I count the D&C as Day 1)—but the gunk coming out of me looked scary. Kind of like the stuff that makes Spider-Man into the Bad Spider-Man. Not the sort of thing that shouts, "Healthy reproductive system!"

But just in time for the weekend, things took a turn for the normal, and I can happily say with complete confidence, I got my period!

(I guess the Venom-y discharge was just the system revving up? Let's hope...)

This is actually pretty exciting stuff. This is my first normal period in seven months, and it feels like a huge sigh of relief. Also, I actually kind of like my period. Even before all of this pregnancy-loss and retained-placental tissue stuff, my period was a welcome sign that my body insides were more or less healthy, doing what they're supposed to do.

I also have a few things that make my period-time more awesome than it might otherwise be, starting with...


<span class=

I love my washable pads. They're truly one of the best purchases I've ever made for myself. I bought the Deluxe Kit when Rob and I were first married, and a few extra pads and liners since, and they have more than paid for themselves. Disposable menstrual products are icky, pricey, and bad for Mother Earth. Cloth pads are comfy, durable, and make you feel a little more like an amazing Earth Mother. Plus, they're cute!


[Source]

Incidentally, if you're going to have a miscarriage and bleed and spot more or less continuously for three weeks months straight, having your pads be soft and pretty is excellent for morale. Just saying.

2.) Dark chocolate + Raspberry

<span class=

As you may know, I am not a fan of the chocolate. Unless you stick some fruit in it, and then I'm mildly interested. If you're a period-time-means-chocolate-time gal, I recommend throwing some raspberries into the mix.

Rob must have picked up on my silent fantasizing about eating chocolate-raspberry something, because he came home with a bar of Rice Dream Raspberry Dark Chocolate. Which we promptly devoured, though it was a little sweeter than I like. Naturally, I was forced to give myself a little Chocolove.

(Note to the all soy-free, all the time folks: both of these contain soy lecithin. I'm still on the lookout for a vegan, gluten-free, soy-free chocolate-raspberry something.)


<span class=

The Hot Diggity Dog—which is just so much fun to say!—is basically a microwaveable rice sock in the shape of a dachshund. He's designed to be warmed up and draped around your neck to ease muscle and shoulder pain. But he's equally fantastic for cramps! I like to sit with him between my low back and the chair, or draped over my lap. Of course, I have to find him first.

<span class=

Hot Diggity Dog is usually mixed up with Westley's stuffed animal posse. Probably because he looks so cute curled up on the playroom daybed. In fact, I might just have to admit that this thing is actually a full-time toy now, and make myself a sewn rice bag. After I learn to sew, that is.

-------------------------------------
Just a little note to say this was NOT a sponsored post. I just really, truly dig this period-friendly stuff and wanted to share. Or overshare, as per usual.

.....................................

9 comments:

Allison the Meep said...

Have you tried a DivaCup? I got one a few months back and it's pretty great for a) the gross-out factor b) being a hippie and saving the earth c) figuring out exactly what's going on with your body.

Baby in Broad said...

I've tried both the Keeper and the DivaCup, and while I love them in theory, I could never get them to be effective and comfortable at the same time! Something about the size of my...body...insides. (Can girls talk about length and girth? Or is that just beyond wrong?)

Tara said...

I've always wanted to try Lunapads and with my period to return post-pregnancy probably pretty soon I think I will be making that purchase asap. During pregnancy you get so accustomed to life w/o a period it's strange to be getting back into the monthly groove. I've also considered trying sea sponges, but always been afraid of the 'I'm out in public and my sea sponge is full of blood conundrum'. Not exactly the bathroom convo I'd like to have.

Glad to hear that all is well on the lady parts front. It sounds like you are taking care and treating yourself as you should be right now.

Falon said...

Hi Noelle,
I love reading your blog; your honesty and candor are so refreshing. Many of your posts literally make me laugh out loud, while others make my heart hurt! Thank you for posting about your journey, I’m so glad to hear that you are healing and things are getting back on track. While I haven’t suffered a miscarriage, I have a few friends that have and it’s not an easily talked about subject and many suffer in silence.

I just got my first postpartum period last month and I was so excited (I felt a little silly being THAT excited about my period) but I felt like a woman again. So I totally share in your excitement about periods! Thanks for posting about the Lunapads, as I was reading, it dawned on me that if I am cloth diapering my son why wouldn’t I use washable pads for myself? I love hearing about great products that people actually use and not promote because they are sponsored!
(sorry for the novel of a comment)

Falon

http://ghill-life.blogspot.com/

Ellie said...

This is what I have to say about luna pads:
1) I eagerly awaited my period like a 13 year old girl, but without the anxiety.
2) THEY ARE FREAKING AWESOME.
3) Did I mention I love them.
4) I am trying to tell everyone I know about them without freaking them out.

Ellie

Baby in Broad said...

Oh, Ellie, I KNOW. I'm all, "My period's here! I get to use my Lunapads!" And then I do a happy dance in my bathroom. For real.

Amber @ Not Mommy said...

Allison & Noelle - I've tried both Instead cups and the Diva Cup. I wanted to love them because tampons suck, but my body...ummm...expels them all. I may have to look into some Lunapads. Off to see if they make liners because hopefully I won't have a period for another year and a a half!

Baby in Broad said...

They do make liners, Amber! I have some of the thong-style pantyliners, and I like the look of these too: Lunapads Teeny Pantyliner.

IslandGreen said...

I love your neat little bathroom drawer of pads! I have these stupid heavy periods so my cloth pads are huge and we have no drawers in the bathroom.... so I'm jealous.

Love this post.