Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Art of Snacking

Yesterday Westley informed me that the food I make often "looks yucky, but sometimes tasteses good."

I agreed that yes, some foods look kind of funny. "Yucky" is not a word I use, ever. I object to it in the way some parents object to "stupid" or "bored." Westley undoubtedly learned "yucky" from Yo Gabba Gabba. (Shame on you, Gabba friends!) I also mentioned that you never know how something will taste until you try it.

Still, I took Westley's comment into consideration. For snack, I presented him with this.

<span class=
Cucumber-carrot palm trees on a celery beach, under a full hummus moon.
A little nod to the summer we're not seeing in Seattle.

Westley looked hard at the plate. Then he looked at me like I had finally lost my mind and he had seen it coming all along. He ate the celery and left everything else undisturbed.

.....................................

2 comments:

Allison the Meep said...

WHAAAAT!!! That is some impressive food crafting, madam. I would have squeed all over the place had that been served to me.

I'm totally guilty of saying "yucky" all the freaking time to Audrey, but it's not in the context of food. It's usually, "Don't eat that bug! YUCKY!"

Cindy said...

As a mom, you just can't win. I have to remind myself of this all the time. Very pretty still.