Friday, June 17, 2011

Epiblogue: Mom I'd Like to...Friend

Westley and I have been to two pre-preschool summer get-togethers in two days, and, well, I don't really know how to say this so I'll just say it:

I think I might like some of these women.

So far, I am still mom-friendless (except for you lovely people on the other side of the computer, of course!). I had hoped Westley going to preschool might change that, but, to be perfectly honest, I didn't have high hopes. I may be a life-partner relationship optimist at the moment, but I still feel pretty unfriendable. I am just so completely dorky and awkward in social situations.

Fortunately, it turns out that almost no one is totally at ease when meeting the parents of their child's preschool classmates for the first time...while also trying to keep an eye on their child(ren) at the park. Even if you're good at chatting up potential mom-friends, in the back of your mind you're going, "Is he okay over there? Are they trying to kill each other with rocks?" It levels the playing field, so to speak.

"I hope this is going to work out," quickly changed to "This is totally going to work out [happy-happy joy-joy dance]!" as I chatted with laid-back mom after laid-back mom. Westley popped over to scold me several times—"Leave her alone!"—which everyone seemed to think was adorable and hilarious.

I'm already fantasizing about the coffee dates.

.....................................

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Yay for mom friends! It helps so much to have someone who understands what life is like with a little one. Go have some mom fun!

Cindy said...

Parent night for Luna's preschool is coming up soon and I'm hoping for just this! Have fun!

Amber @ Not Mommy said...

I had no idea you had no other mom friends IRL. I only have a few, but it does make things easier. Even so, there are times I meet some at parks and I really want to ask for their number or something, but I'm too socially awkward and fearful that they "don't like me like that" ha!

MOMSICLE VIBE said...

YESS!!! I'm so happy for you, because once you find them you will treasure them like the gifts from the heavens they are. A great mom-friend is priceless! I'm kinda jealous though. Wish Soleil and I could date you and Westley :)

Allison the Meep said...

Right on! When Julian was that age, I was not just mom-friendless, but plain old friendless. I found that once he started school though, I met a lot of people who were like-minded and it didn't feel as forced as trying to mom-date someone I met at the playground.

Pee Ess - I still really dig on your idea of having a mini BlogHer, comprised of our cool mama blog circle. We have to make it happen one day.