Friday, April 30, 2010

Sick Sick

After being sick with worry about traveling with a toddler, and then heartsick over having faraway close friends, I find myself just plain old sick. For what seems like the thousandth time in two years.

I've written about this before, but it still seems noteworthy that I was never sick with this kind of frequency before Westley was born.

"That's the way it was with us," my dad told me, when I complained to him about yesterday's Stomach vs. Food smack-down. "Your mom and I were like Clydesdale horses before you and your brother came along. Then we caught everything that came down the pike!"

Apparently, I should have expected this. But it still doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I would be willing to accept the demise of my healthy-as-a-horse self if Westley were in daycare and bringing home every illness the Pacific Northwest has to offer. But Westley and I don't really go anywhere (a problem I'm hoping to remedy in the near future). Rob goes off to work and presumably brings home writer-germs on a daily basis. But you'd think that if that were the issue, my husband would get sick at least as often as I do. (Right?)

So I've concluded that one of two things must be going on here. Either I'm much more physically depleted than my doctors or I realize, or else I'm just a giant wuss.

On the microbiological level, of course.

.....................................

2 comments:

candace said...

After having Emma I caught everything known to man. She has never been in daycare, and yet she, my husband and myself caught everything. I believe that, whether you realize it or not, being a mom means burning the candle thing. We are exhausted and stressed and we get sick.

Although being pregnant means I have super hero immunities again, I'm pregnant, and well that sucks! I'm getting big, I don't get enough sleep, I still (after 21 weeks) throw up regularly, etc. Not a ringing endorsement for pregnancy eh?

I bet when the kids go off to school, and we go off to work, things will regulate themselves a little.

MOMSICLE VIBE said...

Boo! Is Westley a good sleeper? I get sick more now too and I think it is because I am ALWAYS tired! The body doesn't battle as hard and repair as well with Fatigue is on your ass like a class 5 stalker :(

Feel better!