Monday, January 4, 2010

Home, Sweet

I find myself very tempted to refer to this current house as "our first home," even though it's not at all. It's the fourth place Rob and I have lived as a couple, and the second place we've owned. It's not really the "first" of anything. What it is is the most permanent-feeling place we've ever lived.
Rob and I bought a house about six months after we got married, and sold it when Westley was about four months old. Westley never lived there, except as a fetus living inside of me. We moved out of that house and into our much-maligned (by me, on this blog) basement apartment just a few weeks before Westley was born.

There was nothing wrong with the apartment, really. Sure, we didn't own it, but it was a good space for a couple with a new baby. There was even a tiny nursery: a former laundry room, drywalled, painted, and hardwood-floored out of utilitarianism and into coziness. The floors were heated. It was cool in the summer and warm in the winter. And the kitchen was the nicest I have ever cooked in.

(I really miss the kitchen, actually.)

Hello, Kitchen Gnomes!

But even though Westley was born in the apartment, I never felt really connected to it. And while it's too soon to feel like I have a connection to the new house (I still stutter when trying to relate the address), it seems to fit better. The house isn't much bigger than the apartment was, but it still feels as though we can grow into this space, instead of worrying about growing out of it.

Clothes drying, cat eating, routine settling...

Christmas sealed the deal. As we cleaned and straightened, cooking and arranging in preparation to host two small gatherings, I had the strange sense that the house was becoming part of our family. I wanted to do nice things for it, so it would be comfortable. Happy.

Continuing the accidental Christmas tradition of taking pictures of the cat(s) with the presents.

This house is the first place we've lived and wanted to stay. Because suddenly we're in a home where I can imagine our little family being happy for a long, long time.

Home, Sweethearts
.....................................

3 comments:

Allison the Meep said...

From the few pictures, it looks like a really cool house. I'm so glad you've found a place that actually feels like a home to you.

We're in the transitional situation right now. Every place Wade and I have lived together has been okay enough, but has never felt like a home. They've always been rentals, and I feel like I can't be original or paint or do anything to make the space feel like my own in a rental. I can't flipping wait until this summer when we can buy a house. I had a mild depression this weekend that our baby will be born and have to live in our shitty little rental house for the first few months of her life. I should probably just shut up and be grateful that we even have a place to live.

Amber, The Unlikely Mama said...

Ooooh your house looks like it's just my style :-)
I never knew you had owned a house before this one. What made you sell? I cannot wait to sell this one, because it really does not feel like home...but the market sucks too much to let it go just yet.

周杰倫Jay said...

That's actually really cool!亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,
三級片,後宮電影院,85cc,免費影片,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,日本a片,美女,成人圖片區,avdvd,色情遊戲,情色貼圖,女優,偷拍,情色視訊,愛情小說,85cc成人片,成人貼圖站,成人論壇,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女,視訊做愛,免費視訊,伊莉討論區,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性感影片,正妹,走光,色遊戲,情色自拍,kk俱樂部,好玩遊戲,免費遊戲,貼圖區,好玩遊戲區,中部人聊天室,情色視訊聊天室,聊天室ut,成人遊戲,免費成人影片,成人光碟,情色遊戲,情色a片,情色網,成人圖片區