Saturday, December 13, 2008

Suck and Run

For a while there, it looked like Westley was going to wean himself. I, frankly, was happy to let him do it, because...well, breastfeeding hasn't been the easiest thing for me, and for a while there I kinda really HATED it, actually. (I know breastfeeding is supposed to be lovely and bond-y and mother-baby-communication-y, but it just didn't work that way for us. That's probably the makings of another post, though.) I was all ready for Westley to wean. He's one. He's eating tons of food most of the time, and has almost no interest in nursing in the evenings. When Rob and I were away on our mini-vacation, Westley was more interested in eating breakfast than taking the bottle of pumped milk that I'd left with my parents.

So I thought Westley was weaning. But he's really snacking.

I'm no longer the dairy, but the human sippy cup. Throughout the day, Westley will indicate that he wants to nurse, usually by pointing to or patting the nursing pillow. Sometimes, if I'm sitting, he'll pat my lap or try to reach up and grab my chest. I'll pick him up, get him and myself and my clothes all arranged, and then he'll nurse...for about five seconds. Then he rolls off my lap and cruises or crawls away for a few minutes. He waits until I've hooked my bra, fixed my shirt, and moved the pillow out of the way before he comes over and asks to nurse again. This goes on for a good chunk of the day, if we're at home. He doesn't do it in public, which is a blessing because he's fast, and when he rolls away from me and does his little waltz pose before flipping feet-first onto the ground, I'm totally exposed to everyone.

It was cute the first couple of times he did it. Suck, suck, suck, "Whew! Thanks, Mom. Just needed to wet my whistle. Bye!" But this has gone on for more than a couple of weeks now, and it's starting to grate on my nerves a little bit. It's surprisingly tiring, and all of that latch on, latch off business gets uncomfortable fast.

I think this must be a side-effect of being on the verge of walking. Westley is so busy all the time with growing and learning things, it's too much trouble to lie down to eat. I wonder if One Step Ahead makes a beer hat for babies: two bottles on either side with a long straw and a breast-shaped mouthpiece.

.....................................

2 comments:

hoppytoddle said...

Yes, my take on this is that he is just busy trying to master walking. MiniMe did this, too. But then she got dreadfully sick & the boobie was the only thing to comfort her. I was only nursing around 4 times a day when MiniMe was one, & we didn't fully wean until about 16 months. We both held on to the before bed sitting for a while. It was only around 5 min or so, & no, she didn't fall asleep on the breast.

Have you told him that you aren't a 7-11? Seriously, talk to him about it.

Baby in Broad said...

The conversation has begun, for sure. I'll say, "No, we're not gonna nurse right now." He doesn't love the new plan, but I think he'll get on board. I think we'll hang onto the first-thing-in-the-morning nursing for a long time, though.