Sunday, November 12, 2006

Combination plate

Sometimes, when I have the time to actually sit down and write, I'm certain that nothing interesting has happened lately...except:

Guess Who's Pregnant?

Nope, not I. Just about the entire blogosphere is though, and also, it turns out, my husband's best friend's wife. Or my husband's best friend's sister. Or someone in his life who I don't know very well. Rob made the announcement to me while I was busy trying to think about something else, but he seemed very excited about it. And I wanted to throw something heavy at him. Doesn't he realize that he's talking to a woman with a seriously accelerated baby-brain? He can be thrilled beyond belief for someone else, but he won't say peep about his own family? How does that make sense?

The Perfect Dress Wasn't

Why did it have to fit so perfectly, and be so outside of my budget? Even with a $50.00 giftcard, it was either the dress, or a week's worth of groceries. Sometimes I hate being financially responsible.

He Can Now Use Staves

Come the first of the year, Rob will have a staff position in the company he has worked for...for nine years. It's about fucking time.

Real Estate Ninjitsu

Viewing a house that you can't afford and have no intention of ever buying beats the pants off of touring a house that you painfully, desperately want - no, need - to buy. Rob and I got to masquerade as relaxed, qualified home-buyers. I felt like some sort of home-buying ninja, and it was great fun, viewing a house sans the horrible "oh God, oh God, must have it" feeling. What business did I have blatantly wasting a real estate agent's time, you ask? My parents, who currently reside in a condo in Southern California, have been shopping for a house in the Pacific Northwest. So naturally, when they mentioned they'd found something they really liked, I had to check out the goods.

Hell Has Frozen Over

Prepare to get out those space heaters and crank them up, because it's official. Remember my husband? Yeah, well, I do too, but I'm pretty sure that some mad scientist sneaked into our house and used him in some sort of brain-swapping experiment. He is eating vegan food...and loving it. A few nights ago, I improvised a kung pao "chicken" recipe (using eensy cubes of lightly-fried tofu), and Rob can't stop talking about it. Tonight, I made Sushi Salad, which he mmm-ed over. And he has been asking me to do something with quinoa. Quinoa, people! This from the man who, when I met him, said he didn't feel "fed" if his meal didn't include meat!

BiB
.....................................

2 comments:

Fidget said...

this is one of my favorite ways to make Quinoa

Quinoa Salad

1 cup quinoa, rinsed until water runs clear
2 cups water
salt
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 cup cooked or frozen & thawed corn kernals
1 cup cooked or frozen & thawed peas
1 tomato, seeded and chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
1-2 jalapeno chile peppers, seeded and minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or flat leaf parsley (i used a mixture of both)
3-4 tablespoons lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
ground black pepper

In a medium saucepan over high heat, combine the quinoa, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until all the water is absorned and the quinoa is tender. (If any water remains, transfer the quinoa to a colander and drain). Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl, and let cool completely.

Stir in the cucumbers, corn, peas, tomato, bell pepper, chile peppers, cilantro or parsley, lime juice and oil. Toss to mix. The salad should be highly seasoned; sprinke with black pepper and more salt, if desired.


and if he just simply MUST have meat Chilled steamed shrimp is an awesome addition

Child Bride said...

Oooh, Fidget, that sounds divine! I can't imagine he wouldn't like it. And if he doesn't...oh, well, more for me! Thanks!